INDEX OF ILLUSTRATIONS
Front Street in Dodge City, Kansas, during the 1870's.
The first Church in Dodge City
Union Church on the corner of Spruce and First Avenue.
Old McCarty hospital in the background. Built in the Spring of
Robert M. Wright
Robert M. Wright had the sutler's store in Fort Dodge, later he was a partner in
the Charles Rath Merchantile Company store, later buying out his partner, Charles
- Geo. M. Hoover
Along with J.G. McDonald, George M. Hoover had set up a tent
saloon in Dodge City, June 17,1872
- Dodge City
Dodge City in 1872 -- White building with stairway R. M. Wright and Chas.
Rath mercantile building. Dark roofed building to the right of this is
H.J. Fringer Drug Store.
Carrie Markley and Chas. Rath
Wedding Picture of Carrie Markley and Chas. Rath. Carrie Markley Rath often told
her children Robert and Bertha that their father sat beneath the tongue of the
hoisted wagon tongue during the noon hour, studying from a book while the oxen
First House in Dodge City
First house on present site of Dodge City. Built sometime in August, 1872. This
sod house was built by "Black" Kelly and used by H. L. Sitler to house men
employed to mow hay along the treeless Arkansas River. (Information written on
the picture concerning Mr. and Mrs. Nixon is incorrect. Kelly is standing alone
in the door of the "soddie".) East of third, South of the tracks, where the John
Duse Building now stands. Telegraph pole at the corner of the building.
- Traces of the Old Santa Fe Trail
Traces of the old Santa Fe Trail can still be
seen in some places in the John Merk Pasture ten miles west of Dodge City.
Fort Dodge, 1867. The house in the rear was first built in Abilene, moved to
Ellsworth, then to Fort Dodge and still later to Dodge City. It Dodge City it
became the property of W. B. (Dad) Rhodes. Lane Miers, Mamie Sprecker's father,
once lived there. J. E. Hunnell, Janitor of the Methodist Church, was living
there at the time it burned, about 1930. 712 First Avenue.
Map from The History of Kansas, Arnold.
Kansas at the Time of the Civil War
Map from The History of Kansas, Arnold.
Chalkey McArtor Beeson
Chalkey McArtor Beeson, an old stage driver who came to Dodge City, lingered a
while and stayed. He organized the famous Cowboy Band.
- F. C. Zimmermann
F. C. Zimmermann - Came to Dodge City in 1872. Was gunsmith by
profession but operated harware and mercantile stores in Dodge City. Was
member of Dodge City's first school board.
Map from the Kansas State Historical Collections.
Ed Garland, earliest Dodge City druggist. Died in Cimarron about 1910.
- Dr. O. H. Simpson
- Dr. T. L. McCarty
Dr. T. L. McCarty - Dodge City's first physician. His son,
Claude McCarty, was the first white child born in Dodge City. Both
practiced and maintained hospitals in Dodge City throughout long
Dr. Claude E. McCarty
Dr. Claude E. McCarty as a boy, the first white child born in Dodge City.
- H. B. Bell
H. B. Bell was on the City Council 1877. In 1889, largely through his
efforts, instead of being razed, the buildings [at Ft. Dodge] were put to
a good use as a soldiers' home.
- Charles Rath
Charles Rath sitting on Buffalo hides. D. W. (Doc.) Anschutz of
Meade - man in white shirt - was employed by Rath to run baler. He
mentioned to Merritt Beeson that "We had in the yards as high as 70,000 to
80,000 hides." Merritt also said so.
Orlando A. (Brick) Bond
Orlando A. (Brick) Bond. Killed most buffalo in shortest time around Dodge City,
Kansas. From November 1, 1873, killed 6,183, average of 103 per day.
Margaret A. Walker
Margaret A. Walker, first lady school teacher in Dodge City, in 1874.
James Hanrahan, first state representative from Ford County.
Map of Ford County
From The History of Kansas, Prentice.
- Cheyenne Indians
Cheyenne Indians held prisoners in County Jail
in Dodge City in 1878. Captured as they were trying to return to the Black
Hills from reservation in Oklahoma.
Andy Johnson, who helped build the toll bridge and laid all the sidewalks in
Dodge City, marked A.J.
- The first Windthorst Parish
The first Windthorst Parish
Buildings (Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish). Church built in the Spring of
1879 and was blessed by Father Wolf on Easter Sunday. Father Ferdinand
Wolf was a Benedictine priest who came to minister to the spiritual needs
of Windthorst, May 21, 1878. He also took care of mission places, St.
Jospeh's, eight miles North of Windthorst, Kinsley and Dodge. He
celebrated his first mass May 22, 1878, in the Henry Tasset home.
Return to the
Early Ford County Index