William Allen White House
927 Exchange Street
Rehabilitation Continues On State Historic Site
Exterior construction now is complete on the Emporia landmark known as
Red Rocks, the William Allen White House State Historic Site at
927 Exchange Street. The exterior restoration included repairing,
cleaning, and repointing the masonry. Also included was work on the
roof of White's mother's house at 923 Exchange. The adjacent
visitor center was completed during winter 2004.
Interior restoration soon will be underway to make the site accessible
to the disabled. Construction is expected to be completed in winter
2005. Landscaping will be underway in fall 2004 and winter 2005. It is
hoped the site will be open to the public by spring 2005.
White rented the house from 1899 until he purchased it in 1901. The
massive stone, brick and half-timbered structure in the Tudor style was
White's home for 45 years. The south side of the house opens onto a
series of terraces and gardens, and adjacent to the gardens is the home
White built for his mother. The house, a National Historic Landmark,
was given to the Kansas State Historical Society in 2001.
Kansas State Historical Society is headquartered at 6425 SW Sixth
Avenue, Topeka, KS 66615; 785-272-8681; TTY 785-272-8683.
Related: City of Emporia, KS