Old West Photograph Gallery
from the Ford County
Historical Society, Dodge City, KS
Braddock Photograph Archive
All rights reserved, FCHS, Inc.
House (1881) Dodge City, Kansas
Emelia Mueller and John
Day, June 12, 1889.
FCHS Mueller Collection.
panorama virtual tour
Emelia, in wedding dress, on bottom step; Karoline
Mueller and John Chambliss on front porch; John Mueller and 15-year old
son Henry on
balcony. The wedding, at 9 p.m., with 50-people eating and dancing in the
house, had a guest list with most of Dodge City and Ford County pioneers.
Chalk Beeson, Long Branch saloon co-owner, and his "silver cornet band" played the music in the
parlor. That night John and Emelia left on the midnight train for their
honeymoon in Denver before moving to their new home at Ft. Reno, IT
(Indian Territory). Henry's carved initials, HJM, are still preserved on
the right side of the window seen behind John.
John and Karoline
Mueller with children Emelia and Henry, 1888. Returned by Henry
Mueller to Heinie Schmidt. FCHS Mueller Collection.
Elizabeth Berg Schmidt with children Heinrich (Heinie), Elma and Louis
(Lew). Circa 1889. FCHS Schmidt Collection
Adam came to Dodge City in 1874 and started a
blacksmith shop on the Santa Fe Trail (now, Trail St.). He married 'Betty'
(name on wedding license) in 1882. She was 19; he was 41. Heinie was born
in 1882, Lew in 1884 and Elma in 1885.
Last photograph, circa 1938
Found in Elizabeth's funeral book, photograph is
taken from her bedroom into the foyer and parlor of the Mueller-Schmidt
House. She was the daughter of the first baker in Dodge City, Frederick
Berg. In March 1878, at age 16, she arrived by train to join her family.
She married Adam Schmidt in 1881. He died in
1911. Her death was on December 1, 1938.
Front Street, Dodge City, Kansas
The 1874 view of Front Street, left, with Frederick
Zimmermann's gun and hardware store, George M. Hoover's
liquor and cigar store, Chalk Beeson's Long
Branch saloon and Charles Rath and Robert Wright's "General Outfitting
Store" all at the end of the second block west of the train depot. Front
Street replica on Boot Hill is based on this photograph. Famous 1879
photograph, right, taken from east end of Front Street, looking from the
Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad depot area. Kelley's Hall (marked
1) is large sharp roof across the middle. John Mueller's boot shop (marked
2), was on land purchased by Mueller on November 11, 1875, from Robert M.
Wright. Mueller sold it on September 13, 1881. George B. 'Deacon' Cox and
A.H. Boyd's famous Dodge House Hotel (marked 3) is on the right side. Cox
and Boyd purchased their lots in 1874, with Cox buying out Boyd in
Dodge City Town President
Robert M. Wright's Desk and Portrait
Mueller-Schmidt House Parlor
Robert M. Wright wrote Dodge City, the Cowboy
Capital at this desk between 1911 and its 1913 publication. Wright
looks down from his own copy of his portrait. In the 1880s, Wright's
general store on Front Street (circa 1885 brick building, corner
store) had over $200,000 a month gross income. He died broke in 1915.
and Rath House (1877)
Charles Rath, one of the first three Ford County
Commissioners, in Robert Wright's buffalo hide yard in 1878. Rath is
seated on rick of 40,000 hides. M.W. (Doc) Anchutz (in white shirt, back
left), a baler from Meade, Kansas, said, "We had as high as 70,000 to
80,000 hides at times in the yard." Prices for the hides ranged from 80
cents to $4 each. Most were used for industrial belts. The Rath
Trail (from Dodge City to Rath City, Texas) was unique, being the only
trail established for buffalo hunters. Right photograph is Rath house,
1877. Mrs. Robert Wright, left, Mrs. Carrie Rath in doorway, her mother
Katherine Markley on right. Carrie is expecting son Robert--born October
16, 1877. He was a playmate of Henry Mueller in the Mueller-Schmidt
Christmas Dinner, 1897
FCHS Rath Collection
Self-photograph by Charles Rath's 20-year old son,
Robert Rath, left, with a cable to his camera. Thomas Bainbridge is
standing with Carrie Rath Bainbridge at end of table, and Bertha Rath,
Robert's sister, sitting with his half-brother, Roy Bainbridge. Robert's
step-father Thomas worked for the railroad and was to die in an accident
less than two years later. The house, built in 1877 by Charles Rath, was
located where the historic Dodge City Carnegie Library (1907) building now
stands. Robert played with Henry Mueller in the Mueller-Schmidt House. Ida Ellen Rath
married Robert Rath much later in his life.
Ham Bell Memorial (1939)
Boot Hill, Dodge City
Hamilton Butler Bell, longest living Old West Sheriff
and Marshal. Ham remembered the end of the Civil War and had his name on a
WWII Army Air Corp plane. He never shot a
man--saved some cowboys from the "Earp gang"--and outlived all of his
Western associates. Arriving in Dodge City in 1874, he lived in Ford
County until his death in 1947. He was the first president of the Ford
County Historical Society, 1931. The bell from the Union Church, the first church building in Dodge
City, is on top.
| Ham Bell Memorial Details
The text reads: "H.B. (Ham) Bell, Deputy U.S. Marshal,
Pioneer Sheriff, Mayor of Dodge City and Grand Old Man of the Southwest
Since 1874. This fountain erected by the Junior Chamber of Commerce,
Cowboy Statue on Boot Hill
In front of old Dodge City Hall (1929)
Dr. Oscar Simpson, DDS, pioneer Dodge City dentist and
inventor of the gold inlay process for filling teeth (patent finally won
in 1912), had his old pioneer lawman friend, Joe Sughrue, lay in a box
while a mold was made with plaster. Dr. Simpson filled the mold with
concrete. The statue has been on Boot Hill since 1929. Dr. Simpson also
made the first Boot Hill tombstones for tourists to view.
When Simpson arrived in Dodge City by train, his tall
silk hat was the target of a bucket of water from a Front Street
bartender. Story goes that Simpson picked up a rock, threw it back and
broke the cut glass from the bar back. Dr. John Henry Holliday is the most
famous Dodge City dentist, although 'Doc' Holliday was in the city only a
The current Ford County Court House was built in 1913,
replacing an 1880s building. [Cowboy statue photos and Ford County
Courthouse: ©2000, G. Laughead Jr.]
(© 2002-2008, Ford County Historical Society, Inc.,
except as noted) Updated: 10 October 2008.
Funding for the conservation of FCHS photographs
from The Kansas